Everybody seems to have experienced what depression felt like. It is sometimes unavoidable even for a cheery person. However, it doesn’t mean it can limit you from having fun vacation. It is common to suddenly feel restless or less enthusiast about the trip you have planned for months. It is like you don’t even have energy to go with it. All you want to do is just lying on bed and watching random movies. Aside from being common, depression is also manageable condition. Thus, you can have proper travel even when you are under depression.
Travel under depression with less hassle
To travel happily when you are depressed, you need to take a little extra preparation and care. Thus, you still can travel peacefully with less hassle. Here are some tips:
- It is important to control your depression so that you are really ready for travelling. If you have depression as your long term health problems, you must have taken medication. Thus, make sure to see doctor or therapist to help you assess your fitness for travel. You need to make sure that there is no medication change or flare-ups at least within the last three months. Only doctor and therapist can really assess you properly even though you feel like you have already known your own body. Thus, trust them for better judgment of your current fitness.
- You need to choose the right destination which provides the help you need if you happen to need professional for your condition in the middle of your trip at your destination. This is important especially if you have severe care of depression. If the destination you are going to go doesn’t proper facilities, treatment, or medication then you should find another destination.
- Make a proper and thorough plan for your trip. You need to have plans of what you will do if your depression strikes during travelling. There are many alternatives for this. You can find the best way to reach your doctor or therapist anytime you need during your trip. You can also save emergency number in the country you are visiting.
- Pack your meds properly and don’t forget about them. If you are taking antidepressant on regular basis under doctor’s prescription, make sure to have more than enough for your trip. Put them in your carry-on bag so they are more reachable when needed. Make sure to not change the dosage even before or during the trip unless it is under your doctor’s suggestion.
- Next thing you can do to have fun travelling is to enjoy the trip by sticking to the routine, setting realistic expectation and taking care of your body. Not to mention to plan it ahead so you will be more prepared and less anxious. It is important to avoid foods that can trigger your depression. You can enjoy the trip and set your own pace. You don’t have to force yourself when you are tired. The most important thing is to be patient with yourself and enjoy every little moment.