Travelling is fun and all. However, it won’t be fun anymore once you suffer from food poisoning. It can be range from mild to severe case. Sometimes fall ill while travelling is unavoidable. However, food poisoning is something you can prevent if you know what causes it. The symptoms of food poisoning are also varied such as vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, etc. It is common and must have activity to taste local foods while travelling. By trying out various local foods, you will learn more about the diversity of the local culture. Food poisoning often occurs when you try street foods. It doesn’t mean you are not allowed to eat them. However, you’d better know what you eat beforehand.
Preventing food poisoning while travelling
Your safety is priority while travelling. If you think only wild animals or natural disaster that can ruin your travel, then you need to think twice because food is also potential danger. Food poisoning is something you don’t want to suffer. So here are some tips to prevent you from food poisoning while travelling:
- Choose local dines, booth, or restaurants where people are gathered. Well-visited food places mean the foods are fresh, delicious, or affordable. If you want to try street foods, make sure you pay attention on the cleanliness of the stalls as well as the sellers. If they keep the place hygiene then the risk of having food poisoning is less.
- It is recommended to buy foods which are still hot and steaming. Remember that hot temperature kills bacteria or germs which often cause illnesses. Thus, if you are looking for foods which can warm your body, make sure you choose the ones that still steaming or smoking with heat. You can opt for stew, soup, or steam boats.
- Before buying foods from food stalls in the street or open dine, make sure you pay attention on the utensils they use for serving the foods. You need to make sure that they use tongs to handle the foods instead of bare hands. Or at least, the sellers wear gloves. Choose foods which are protected or covered by pot lids, saran wrap, etc.
- If you are fruits lovers, it is safer to opt for fruits with peels because they have less risk from being contaminated. Fruits with peels are orange, watermelon, melon, rambutan, banana, etc.
- Food poisoning can be caused by your own carelessness such as when you forget to wash your hand before eating. No matter how fresh and clean the foods if you use your dirty hands to eat then you can get food poisoning still. For travelling, you can always bring hand sanitizer so that you can sanitize your hands anytime and anywhere.
- Food poisoning can be cause by drinking unclean water. While travelling, it is common for travelers t drink from tap water. However, make sure the water is clean beforehand. Ask the staff of the hotel to find out. If you buy bottled water, check the seal and expire date to make sure it is safe to drink.